Akshaya Tritya also known as Akha Teej, it is an auspicious day in Hindu religion and is coming on 21st April this year. It arrives on the 3rd Tithi (lunar day) of Bright Half (Shukla Paksha) of the Indian month of Vaishakha and this day is one of the brightest and luckiest days as per Hindu scriptures.
Akshaya means “Endless” that which never diminishes. As per Hindu Electional Astrology three Lunar days, Yugadi, Akshaya Tritiya and Vijay Dashami do not need any muhurta to start any new ventures as these three days are free from all malefic effects. So there is no need to check the auspicious time to do any auspicious deeds (kaarya) because each and every moment of these days are propitious.
Significance of this Day:
- Akshaya Tritiya is considered the day of start of Treta Yug.
- Birthday of Lord Parasurama (sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu).
- Ved Vyas and Lord Ganesha began to write Mahabharata.
- It was on this day, Kubera received his wealth and position as custodian of wealth and property with Goddess Lakshmi on this day, by praying to Lord Shiva at Shivapuram.
- Gold and gold jewelry bought and worn on this day signify never diminishing good fortune.
What to do on Akshaya Tritya?
- Shop for Gold: Most people purchase Gold on this day as it is believed that buying Gold on Akshaya Tritiya brings prosperity and more wealth in coming future. Being Akshaya day it is believed that Gold, bought on this day, will never diminish and would continue to grow or appreciate.
- Buy a Car: It is said that owning a car on this auspicious day reduces the chances of accidents tremendously.
- Do Pujas, Homas, Havans: Pujas are done to pray to Lord Ganesh, Lord Kuber, Lord Vishnu, Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Parshuram. The benefits of doing yagyas, pujas and homas on this day will never diminish.
- Getting Married: This day is so auspicious one need not worry about muhurat every moment of this day is propitious. Maximum numbers of marriages are registered on this day.
- Buy a flat: Owning your dream home on this day is said to be very auspicious. No need to have second thoughts on buying a property for yourself on Akshaya Tritiya.
- Start your Business: It is said that opening a business on Akshaya Tritya, will attract abundance of wealth and success.
Charity or Daanam
Charity or Daanam on this day is considered very auspicious.
Mentioned below are some popular charity offerings:
- Jala Daanam (Water daanam to Brahmin with betul nut and dakshina) is for wealth.
- Shayana Daanam (giving bed) gives all happiness
- Vasthra Daanam (giving clothes) for Ayushyam, Long life
- Kumkum daanam _ gives best position in life and also long life for husband
- Chandana daanam avoids accidents and mishaps.
- Thamboolam makes a man as ruler of a nation
- Naarikela Daanam- (Coconut daanam) is for last 7 ancestors
- Butter milk daanam is for vidhya praapthi
- Udakumbha Daanam- Giving water containing in bronze or silver vessel filled with water with paccha karpooram and saffron and Tulsi with betul nut and dakshina. It gives Gaya Shrardha phalam and is the most important daanam to be given for all those who want to get marry soon, who want to get rid of pithru shapas and for a couple who wants to have a child.
- Padaraksha- (slipper) daanam will protect one from entering into naraka
- Chatra Daanam-(umbrella) removes many obstacles in life.
And also one more offering (daanam) suggested to give on that day is wheat. It pleases Lord Indra who gives rain and crops. That’s why Veda mantra says :
Indra Shrshtaani Draveenani dehi shittim Dhakshasya Subhagathva masmey.
Devotees take bath in sacred rivers (Mahanadis) like Ganga,Yamuna, Godavari, Sindhu, Sarawathi, Narmada, Krishna, Bheemarathi, Phalgu, Sarayoo, Gandaki, Gomathi, Kaveri. If one takes bath before sunrise. he receives punya phala.