What is Akshaya Tritiya?
For Hindu Communities, Akshaya Tritiya or Akha Teej is a very auspicious and holy day. This is day when every minute of the day is auspicious and there is no need for mahurats for any form of work. Akshaya Tritiya usually falls on Shukla Paksha Tritiya of Vaishakha month. This day is considered to be free of all malefic effects. Once a year phenomena of sun and moon being equally radiant happens on this holy day, hence it is astrologically the perfect time to start any new and meaningful endeavor.
Akshaya Tritiya 2013
Akshaya Tritiya 2013 is falling on 13th of May.
Akshaya means never diminishing, hence all ventures started on this day continue to grow and bring prosperity. On this day, the benefits derived out of Japs, Yagya, Pitra-Tarpan and Dan do not diminish, and are said to remain with an individual forever. This day brings success and good luck in people's life. It is a ritual to purchase gold on this day as a mark of auspiciousness. It is believed that Gold brings prosperity and more wealth in coming future. All valuables purchased on this day bring success or good fortune. It is believed that charity done on this day produces great returns and multiplies many times over.
Lord Vishnu rules Akha Teej, therefore praying to Him brings in peace on the worshipper and his family. It is said that He preserves everything that has been started on this day for a long time.
People also pray to Goddess Lakshmi, as she is the giver of blessing of never ending wealth.
Other Auspicious Associations on Akshaya Tritiya:
- Akshaya Tritiya is considered the day of start of Treta Yug.
- It is also celebrated as the birthday of Parashurama, the sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu.
- It is the day when Lord Ganesha started writing Mahabharata as per Ved Vyas's dictation.
- It is also believed that river Ganges descended to the earth from the heaven on this day.
Things To Do on Akshaya Tritiya
- On this day, people should special Pujas, bathe in holy rivers, make charity, and offer barley to the burning fire.
- On this day articles should be given in form of alms to poor, dakshina to guru, these things include grain money, and donations.
- One should do charity donating cow and calf, land, gold, umbrellas, hand fans, and cool refreshing drinks to poor people.
- Departed souls are also remembered on this day.
- Pujas are done to appease Lord Vishnu and Lakshmi to bring in prosperity all year round.
- One should purchase gold on this day as a mark of auspiciousness.