After taking bath, and wearing neat and clean clothes, the worshiper should make oneself sanctified. All the things for Shiv-poojan, as given before in the list of substantial material required, should be kept ready. The CHAUKI, on which the Shiv-Deity is to be throned should be covered by the white cloth and then the phallus-deity be enthroned after giving it a bath in milk, then in GANGAAJAL (water of river Gangaa) in full devotion.
In the same way, the SHIV-TALISMAN should also be placed on the CHAUKI. Shiv-Deity may be of any metal, stone, wood or clay. It is convenient to have an inscribed Talisman on a copper-plate; otherwise it can be drawn on a bark of birch tree by white sandal.
After giving throne to Lord Shiva, incense stick and the clay-lamp be lighted. The KALASH should also be placed on the right side, filled with water. The leaves of the wood-apple should be sanctified by washing them in clean water. It is the assumption that 'Raam' 'Raam' is also written on these leaves by white sandal, it is more pleasing to God Shiva. Begin the Pooja after having a seat on the Aasan in front of the Deity.
CONTEMPLATION MANTRA OF GOD GANESH
It is a well assumed and known fact in Hindu religious rites and worship of any God, that it must be begun after paying devotional regards to Shree Ganesh Ji first. Hence, in Shiv-Poojan too, we are to worship Lord Ganesh first. His deity should also be place on the CHAUKI by the right side of the main deity. Scroll Down to read more
Shop Now for Energized Products
He should be given substantial offers as Arghya, unbroken rice, flowers, niaiviaidya etc. pronouncement of Contemplation Verse, which is as follows:
- Aum sumukhashchiaikadantashcha
- kapilo gajakarnak: I
- Lambodarashcha vikato
- Vighanaasho vinaayak: II
- Bhaalachandro gajaanan: I
- Dwaadwashayi: taani naamaani ya:
- Patheychhu-nuyaadapi II
- Vidyaarambhey vivaahey cha
- Praveyshey nirgamey tathaa I
- Sangraamey sankatashchayiva
- Vighna tasya na jayatey II
- Deyvan shashivarn chaturabhujam I
- Prasanna vadanan
- Dhyaayeytsarva vighnopashaantyey II
BENEDICTION VERSE (SWASTI VAACHAN)
After Ganesh contemplation, unbroken rice and water (in meager quantity) should be dropped in the feet of the diety. Now the Pooja of God, Lord Shiva is to be performed by reciting the Swasti speech.
- Hari: Aum swasti na Indro vridhashrawaa: swasti na: Pooshaa vishwaveydaa: I
- Swasti nastaarakshyo arishtaneymi swasti no vrihasapatirdadhaatu II 1 II
- Aum paya: prithivvyaampaya: oshadheeshu payo divyantariksheypayodhaa: I
- Payaswatee: p-apradisha: santu mahyam II 2 II
- Aum Vishnoraraatamasi Vvishno: shneyptreystho vvishno: I
- syoorasi vishnordhdhuvosi vvayisan vamasi vishnaveytwaa II 3 II
- Aum Agniradayvataa vaato deyv-ataa sooryodeyvataa chandramaa deyvataa vasavo deyvetaa Rudro deyvataa-adityaa Maruto deyvataa vvishwey deyvataa vrihasppatiraddeyveteyndro deyvataa varuno deyvataa II 4 II
- Aum dyau shaantirantariksha gwam shaanti: prithivee shaantiraap: I shaantiroshadhaya: shaanti: vanaspataya: shaantiravishweydeyvaa I shhantirabrihma shaanti: sarua gwam shaati: I hantireywey shaati: saamaa shaantireydh II 5 II
- Aum Vishwaani deyva sawitarduritaani paraasuva yadabhadra tanna aasuva II
- Aum shaanti: shaanti: shaanti: rabhavatu
After making Swati-Speech, one should sprinkle some water on his head three times, reciting the Purification Verse as follows:
- Aum a-pavitra: Pavitro vaa Sarvaavasthaamgato-apivaa.
- Ya: smareyta pundareekaasham Sa vaahyabhantar: shuchi
EVIL SPIRITS ERADICATION-VERSE
Then Bhoot Shudhi (Eradication of Evil spirit) should be done by reciting the following verse:
- Aum apasarpantu tey bhootaa, Yey bhootaa sansthitaa.
- Yey, bhootaa vighna kartaarastey, Nashyantu shivaajyayaa.
After getting free from evil spirits the devotee should resolve as follows:
- Hari: Aum tatasat I nama: parmaatmaney shree puraan purushottamaay shree mad bhagavatey mahaapurushasya vishnoraajyayaa pravartamaanasyaadyabrahmano dwiteeya, praharaardhey shree shweytavaaraaha kalpey vayivaswata manvantarey ashtaavinshatitamey kaliyugey kali pratham charney Jamboodweepey Bharata khandey Bhaaratavarshey aaryaavartaantargatadeyshayika punya ksheytrey shashthi samvatsaraanaa madhyey (1) naamni samvatsarey, (2) ayaney, (3) ritou, (4) maasey, (5) pakshey, (6) tithou, (7) nakshtrey, (8) yougey, (9) vaasarey, (10) raashisthitey Sooryey, Chandrey, Bhaumey, Budhey, Gurou, Shukrey, Shanou, Raahou, Keytou evam gunavishishtaayaa tithou, (11) gotrotpanna, (12) naamni (sharmaa, varmaa, etc), aham dharmaartha kaam, moksha heytavey shree Shiva poojan karishyey I
Note : In the above noted resolution it should be kept in mind that in place of numbers noted in between, the worshipper shall speak, names of : (1) Hindu samvatsar, (2) Ayan, (3) Season, (4) Month, (5) Fortnight whether dark or bright, (6) Hindu date, (7) Constallation, (8) Yoga (9) Day, (10) Signs in which sun, moon, mars, mercury, jupiter, venus, saturn, dragon's head head and tail are moving at the movement, (11) family’s clan, (12) worshipping person along with the sir name e.g. Sharma, Verma etc.
When devotee has taken resolution, he should recite the following verse taking rice in his right hand for the invocation of Lord Shiva.
- Aavaahyaami Shree Shambho, Sharvvatwam Girijaapatey,
- Prasannobhav Deyveysh, Namastubhyam hi Shankar.
After invocation, it should be assumed that Lord Shiva has arrived, and He should be offered the seat (Aasan), by reciting this verse.
- Vishweyshwar Mahaadeyva Raajraajeyshwar Priya,
- Aasanandivyameeshaan, Daasyeyaanthubhyameeshuaram
FEET WASH WATER OFFERING VERSE
Now it should be assumed that the master of this universe, king of kings has taken the seat along with Parwatiji, and they should be offered water to wash their feet by reciting the following verse, and the water should be dropped in the feet of deity.
- Mahaadeyva Maheyshaan, Tribetram cha paraat-par.
- Paadyam-Grihaanam-dattam, Paarwatee sahiteyshwar.
Believing that the God has accepted feet-wash water, He should be offered libation, by reciting this verse.
- Tri yamb-keysh sadaachaar, Jagdaadividhaayak.
- Arghya Grihan deyveysh, Saamb sarvaarth daayak.
PALM-PIT WATER OFFERING
Feeling that the all-powerful, master and ruler of this universe has accepted libation, he must be offered water to have it in the palm-pit for sipping with the recitation of the following verse:
- Tripuraantak Deenaartiharam, Shreekanth Shaashwat.
- Grihaanaachaamyaneeyam cha, Pavitrodak Kalpitam
COW MILK OFFERING FOR BATH
With a deep feeling that the Great Lord, who destroyed the three cities, has sipped the palmpit water, he should be offered to have cow-milk for bath by reciting the following verse:
- Madhuram Gopaya: Punyam, Patapootam Puraskritam.
- Snaanaarth Deyva deyveysh, Grihaan parmeyshwara.
With the assumption that the cow-milk presented for bath has been accepted, curd for same purpose shall be offered, reciting this verse.
- Durlabhamdivya Suswaadu Dadhi sarv priyamparam.
- Tushti dampaarwateenaath, Snaanaaya pratigrihyataam.
GHEE (BUTTER-OIL) BATH VERSE
When this act is over, and it has been felt that Paarwateenath has taken bath in curd, he is required to have the offer of butter-oil (Ghee) for further bath.
- Ghritam gavyam shuchirasnigdham, Suseyayam pushtidaayakam.
- Grihaan Girijaanaath, Snaanaaya Chandrasheykhar.
Feeling as such that Lord Maheswar has taken bath in Ghee, a devotee is to offer Honey for taking bath.
- Madhuram mridumohaghnam, Swarabhang vinaashanam.
- Mahaadeyvey Dumutsristam, Tavasnaanaya Shankar.
After Madhusnaam (Honey-bath) the Lord is to be offered sugar by reciting the verse as follows :
- Taapashaantimkaree sheera, Madhuraa swaad sanyuntaa.
- Snaanaarth deyvadeyveysh, Sharkareyvam Pradeeyatey.
FIVE PIOUS LIQUIDS MIXTURE BATH VERSE
If Panchaamrit is ready, the devotee is not required to give cow milk, curd, ghee, and honey and sugar baths distinctly. He can offer the Lord only Panchaamrit Bath by reciting the verse given below.
- Payodadhi Ghritam Kshaodrahi sharkaraa, Mishritayi: Kritam.
- Panchaamrit, Grihaaneydam, Snaanaarth Shivashankar:
PURE WATER-BATH VERSE
Now after Panchaamrit bath or bath given by Cow-milk, Curd, Ghee, Honey and Sugar distinctly pure water’s bath is to be given to Lord, by speaking the verse as follows:
- Gangaa Godaavaree Reywaa, Payoshanee Yamunaa tathaa.
- Saraswatyaadi Teerthaani, Snaanaarth pratigrihyataam.
SACRED THREAD VERSE
Now the sacred thread should be caused to make the Lord put on, speaking this verse:
- Sauvarn Raajatam Taamram, Kaarpaasasya Tathaiva, Cha.
- Upbeetammyaa Dattam. Preetyarth pratigrihyataam.
After, yajyopawee, the sacred thread had been offered, clothes, perfume, cinders, unbroken rice, flowers, wood-apple leaves, incense and lighted clay-lamp should be submitted, reciting the following verses respectively for distinct offers.
CLOTHES OFFERING VERSE
- Vastraanipatt Koolaani, Vichitraani navaani cha.
- Mayaaneetaani Deyveysh, Prasannobhav Shankar.
PERFUME OFFERING VERSE
- Sarveyshwar Jagad vandya, Divyaasan samaasthita.
- Gandham Grihaan Deyveysh, Chandan Pratigrihyataam.
CINDERS OFFERING VERSE
- Auam triyaayusham Jagdagney: Kashyapasya triyaayustam.
- Yaddeyveyshu Triyaayoosham. Tanno-a-stu Triyaayusham.
UNBROKEN RICE OFFERING VERSE
- Akshtaanshcha Surshreyshth, Shubhraadhoonaash-ch nirmalaa.
- Mayaa Niveyditaa Bhaktayaa, Grihaan Parmeyshwar.
FLOWER OFFERING VERSE
- Maalyaadeeni Sungandheeni, Maalityaadeeni Vayi prabho.
- Mayyaa-a-hritaani poojaarth, Pushpaani pratigrihyataam.
WOOD-APPLE LEAVES OFFERING VERSE
- Vilvapatram Suvarneyn, Trishoolaakaar Meyva cha.
- Mayaarpitam mahaadeyva, Bilvapatram Grihaan mey.
- Trijanm Trigunaakaar, Trineytram cha Triyaayudham.
- Tridalam paapa sanhaaram, bilvapatra shivaarpanam.
INCENSE OFFERING VERSE
- Vanaspatirasodabhooto, Gandhaadhyo gandh uttam:.
- Aadhreya: Sarvadeywaanaa, Dhoopo-a-yam pratigrihhyataam.
CLAY-LAMP OFFERING VERSE
- Saajyam cha varti sanyuktam, Bahninaa yojitam mayaa.
- Deepam Grihaan deyveysh, Trayilokya Timiraapah.
SWEET OFFERING VERSE
After getting submitted lighted clay-lamp, flowers etc. Naivaidya, the sweets as food, shall be presented to the Lord by reciting this verse:
- Apoopaani cha pakwaani, Mandkaavatakaani cha.
- Paayasam soopmannam cha, Neivaidyampratigrihyataam.
DRINKING WATER OFFERING VERSE
After this is over the God should be offered pure water to sip by taking it in hand-pit. While giving water as such, one should recite the following verse:
- Paaneeyam Sheetalam, Gaangey-a Mahaduttamam.
- Grihaan Paarwateenaath, Tav Preetyaaprakalpitam.
HANDWASH WATER OFFERING VERSE
When drinking water has been presented and assumed that it has been accepted, water, to wash the hands is required to offer, which should be given, reciting the following verse :
- Karpooraadeeni Dravyaani, Sugandheeni Maheyshwara.
- Grihaan Jagatnnaath, Karoddharttan heytwey.
FRUITS OFFERING VERSE
When water for hand-wash has been offered, fruits are presented. Shankarji likes the wood-apple specially, hence along with other seasonal fruits; wood-apple must also be offered pronouncing this verse:
- Kooshmaandam Maaturlinganch, Naarikeyla phalaani cha.
- Grihaan Paarwateekaant, Somasheykhar Shankar
BETAL BETALNUTS OFFERING VERSE:
Now the Betal and betalnuts are to be offered, which should be presented by speaking the following verse:
- Pungeephalammah dravyam, Naagwallee dalairyutam.
- Grihaan deyvadeyveysh, draakshaadeeni Sureyshwar.
MONEY OFFERING VERSE
Now comes the offering of money gold etc. which should be offered reciting the following verse:
- Hiranyagarbh garbhastham, Heymbeej samanvitam.
- Panchratanam Yathaadattam, Grihyataam Vrishabhadhwaj.
Now the concluding stage of adoration arrives, which shall begin by Neeranjan, usually known as Aaratee. This is performed by the five mouths lighted lamp circulating upward-downward before the diety from left to right. While accomplishing Aartee the following verse should be recited:
- Agnirjyoti Ravirjyoti, Jyotirvaaraayano vibhu:.
- Neeraajayaami Deyveysham, Panchdeepey Sureyshwar:.
After aartee, flower-offering i.e., handful flowers in both hands joined together should be submitted in the feet of diety by reciting this verse:
- Hara vishwakhilaadhaaram, Niraaddhaaram Niraashra-ya:.
- Pushpaanjali grihaaneysh, Someyshwar Namostutey.
Then salutation comes to be submitted. It should be done by bowing head in the feet of Maheshwar reciting this verse.
- Heytwey jagataameyva, Sansaaraarnavaseytawey.
- Prabhwey Sarvavighnaanaam, Saadaram Guhwey nama:.
CIRCULATIVE MOVEMENT VERSE
Then by moving around the diety from left to right, adoration process comes to the end. When moving as such the following verse should be spoken.
- Yaani Kaani Paapaani, Janmaantar kritaani cha.
- Taani Taani Vinashyanti, Pradakshinaa padey padey.
Before and after Shree Shiv Adoration one should go in meditation reciting these verses:
- Dhyaayeynnityam Sureysham, Yatigatimadidam Yogkaadhaarameyka.
- Maandhaataadi Prabhaava, Nigamajanijushaa Dhyaanadhaaraavagamyam,
- Somam sorhaarameeshamdharani, Survar yaanchayaa Shankaram tam.
- Bhaktyudreykaaya vargam kalyati, Vidushaam Yatkripaa tanhi Shambhum.
- Bandhook Sannibham Deyvam Trinetram Chandrasheykharam,
- Trishooldharrinam Deyvam. Chaaruhaas sunirmalam,
- Kapaal dhaarinam Deyvam Vardaabhayahastkam. Umayaa sahitam
- Shambundhyaayeytsomeyswaram sadaa.
- Saanandmaanand baney. Basantmaanandkandam hat paapabrindam,
- Vaaraanaseenaathmanaath naatham, Shree Vishwanaatham sharan prapadyey.
After adorations and contemplation, a devotee should beg pardon for any mistake, if that might have been due to negligence or otherwise by reciting the following verse:
- Aawaahanam na jaanami, Na Jaanaami tavaarchanam.
- Poojaa Chaiv na Janaamikshamaswa, Parmeyshwara.
SHREE RUDRAASHTAK STROTRAM
Namaamee Shameeshaan Nirvaanroopam, Vibhun vyaapkam brahm veydaswaroopam.
Nijam-nirgunam Nirvikalpam Nireeham, Chidaakaashamaakaasanvaasham bhajeham II1II
Niraakaaram ounkaarmoonlam Tureeyam, Giraa jyaan goteetameesham Gireesham.
Karaal mahaakaal kaalam kripaalam, Gunaagaar sansaar paaram nato-a-ham II2II
Tushaaraadri Sankaash Gauram Gambheeram, Manobhoot koti prabhaa shree shareeram.
Sphuranmauli kallolinee chaaru gangaa, Lasad bhaal baaleyndu kanthey Bhujangaa. II3II
Chalatkundlam suubhra neytram vishaalam, Prasannaanam Neelakantham dayaalam.
Mrigaadheesh charmaambaram mundamaalam. Priyam shankaram sarvanaatham bhajaami II4II
Prachandam prakastham pragalbham pareysham. Akhandam ajam bhaanu koti prakaasham,
Trishoolam Nirmoolam Shoolapaanim. Bhajeya-ham bhavaaneepati bhaava-gamyam. II5II
Kalaateet Kalyaan Kalpaantkaaree. Sadaa Satchid-aa nand Dataa puraaree, Chindanand Sandoh Mohaapahaari, Praseed: Praseed: Prabho man-mathaaree II6II
Na-yaavad umaanaath paadaar vindam. Bhajanteeha parey vaa na raanaam,
Nataa vatsukham shaanti-santaap-naasham. Praseed: prabho sarvbhootaadi vaasam II7II
Na Jaanaami Yogam Japam Naiv Poojaam. Nato a-ham saddaa sarvadaa shambhu tubhyam,
Jaraa Janm Du: Khaough taatapya-maanam. Prabho paahi Aapannmaameesh shambho II8II
Rudraastak Midam Proktam. Vipreyn haratoshyey,
Yey pathanti paraa bhaktayaa. Teyshaam Shambhu Praseedati.
How to do Shiva Puja
After taking bath, and wearing neat and clean clothes, the worshiper should make
Shravan Month / Shravan Maas
Shravan Month / Shravan Maas Of all the months, Shravan Maas (July-August) is co