Papmochani Ekadashi 2018: Date, Vrat and Significance
Papmochani Ekadashi (On March 13, 2018 Tuesday) is last and one of the most significant Ekadashis falling in Chaitra month (April-May) as per North Indian calendar and Phalgun month (March-April) as per South Indian calendar. ‘Papmochani’ is made of ‘paap’ meaning ‘sin’ or ‘misgivings’ and ‘mochani’ meaning ‘remover’; the one who removes the misdeeds committed knowingly or unknowingly. This Ekadashi happens between Holi and Chaitra Navratri. It is the last Ekadashi of the year. It is the most divine Ekadashi for nullifying all the sins. One should observe fast on this day as per the timing given below:
Date & Day
March 12, Monday
March 13, Tuesday
Parana (Breaking Your Fast)
March 14, Wednesday
|06:51 AM || |
You can start observing fast at sunrise on March 13 and end (Parana) it after worshiping Lord Vishnu on March 14 between 06:51 am and 09:13 am.
How To Celebrate Papmochani Ekadashi: What to do on this day?
- Take bath before sunrise on the day of this Ekadashi. You may chant the mantra dedicated to Holy Rivers.
"Ganga Cha Yamuna Chaiva Godavari Saraswati,
Narmada Sindhu Kaveri Jalesmin Sannidhim Kuru"
"In this water, I invoke the presence of divine waters from the rivers Ganga, Yamuna, Godavari, Saraswati, Narmada, Sindhu and Kaveri.”
- You may visit a Vishnu temple and offer prayers. If a temple is not around, you can worship Him at your home in the early morning.
- One can simply chant this mantra: ‘Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya’. This powerful mantra was given by Sage Narada to Dhruva Maharaja as described in the Bhagavat Purana (4.8.54).
- You can chant the above mantra or Hare Krishna mantra on the Tulasi bead.
- You can offer flowers and chant Vishnu Sahasranamam (Thousands name of Lord Vishnu). Chanting thousand names of Vishnu or Vishnu Strotram has a purifying effect on the mind and the body. You can also play it in the morning while you engage in daily works. More details here.
- You can also perform a Vishnu Sahasranama Puja under qualified Brahmins. It is a highly recommended activity on this day. The puja includes Vishnu- Lakshmi Abhishek and Pujan, Vishnu mantra Japa- 1100 times, Vishnu Sahasranama Strotra followed by Homa and Aarti.
- You can wear a Ten Mukhi, a Seven Mukhi or a Nineteen Mukhi Rudrasksha beads for they are ruled by Lord Krishna, Goddess Lakshmi and Narayana, respectively. Wearing these Rudraksha beads on this day purifies your inner self and strengthens your will power.
Benefits of observing Papmochani Ekadashi vrat:
- Removes all the misgivings, misdeeds and sins.
- Gives clarity of thoughts and nullifies all the guilt feelings.
- Increases spiritual, emotional and intellectual strengths.
Why People Celebrate Papmochani Ekadashi: Significance
Every Vedic custom has a reason behind its celebration so does Papmochani Ekadashi. During the Vedic times, Rishi Chyavana lived with his son Medhvi who possessed bodily strength and beauty. Medhvi always engaged in meditation and austerities in order to keep himself pure in mind and body. As he went on performing austerities, King Indra of heaven could not bear his excellence and sent heavenly beauties such as Apsaras and other enchanting damsels. This was on purpose to break his meditation but produced no results as he was fully absorbed in spiritual bliss.
A few days later, an Apsara named Manjugosha entered a hermitage nearby that of Medhvi. She started singing enchanting songs in the most melodious way. He gradually found himself getting drawn to her. And as his meditation came to a standstill, a Cupid on the order of Indra shot an arrow that aroused pleasur-seeking feelings in him. As a result, he fell in love with her and all the purities he attained through long meditation faded. He was lost in her so much that he couldn’t realize the passage of time.
Years later, she told him that a lot of time had passed and he must leave her. Medhvi returned to his senses discovering that it was her illusory trick that destroyed all the fruits of his meditation. Angered by her act, he cursed her to become the ugliest woman in the universe.
He apologized to his father Rishi Chyavana for losing all the strength due to an insignificant act of chasing a woman. Chyavana pacified him and said that he must perform Papmochani Ekadashi to get rid of this sin. Also he advised Manjugosha to do the same. As a result, both of them got cleansed of their sins due to the grace of Lord Vishnu.