Shani Trayodashi is considered the most auspicious day for Shani puja as it is the favorite day of the Hindu deity Lord Shani. He is one of the important planets from the celestial Navagrahas from the Hindu astrology. He is known as the Lord of Saturday, and His name is indicative of the seventh day that is Saturday. Hence, the Triyodasi that falls on a Saturday is called as Shani Trayodasi.
Praying to Shanidev on this day, people are blessed with peace and they overcome with risk of major accidents or life threats. People suffering from the adverse effect of Shani, or people undergoing the period of Sade-Sati of Sani, Ardhastama Sani, Ashtama Sani or its antar dasa, are advised to perform Shani Trayodashi puja as a remedial measures to please Shanidev. It is a day when the otherwise difficult to please God gives blessings of happiness and peace to people. Hence, people wait for Shani Trayodashi to perform remedial measures to nullify the negative effects of Shani.
When is Shani Trayodashi 2013?
The upcoming Shani Trayodashi puja is on 20th of July, 2013. As the Hindu calendars, this auspicious day is falling on Shukla Paksha of Ashadha month.
Akshaya means never diminishing, hence all ventures started on this day continue to grow and bring prosperity. On this day, the benefits derived out of Japs, Yagya, Pitra-Tarpan and Dan do not diminish, and are said to remain with an individual forever. This day brings success and good luck in people’s life. It is a ritual to purchase gold on this day as a mark of auspiciousness. It is believed that Gold brings prosperity and more wealth in coming future. All valuables purchased on this day bring success or good fortune. It is believed that charity done on this day produces great returns and multiplies many times over.
This day belongs to Lord Shani and praying to him brings comfort to the individuals suffering from the malefic effect of the planet. This is a very auspicious day and praying to the lord on this day is considered very beneficial.
:: Shani Mantra ::
"Neelanjana Samabasam Ravi Putram Yamaagarjam
Things To Do on Shani Trayodashi:
• Worship Shanidev to remove/reduce malefic effects of Shani Dosha.
• People should observe fast to please Shanidev.
• People should perform Shani Dosha puja to please Shani.
• It is advised to perform Shani Shanti puja as an observance to calm the planet.
• On Sani Trayodasi, people should perform tailabhishekam as a part of Shani Trayodashi pooja.
• To please Shanidev, tie some black grams, 100 grams of ginger oil packet, 1-kilogram coal, a small black ribbon, 8 iron nails, some Navadanyams, and donate it to the temple priest or drop it in running water source.
• Offer food items to a crow and feed the needy persons.
• Do not purchase oil, leather, umbrella, Navadanyams etc., on this Saturday.
• Distribute rice with salt meals to poor people.
• Distribute black clothes to the poor people on Saturday.
• One should recite the Shani Mantra to please Lord Shani.