Hindu Puja Items and Accessories
Hindus perform the puja (prayer ritual) as a way to honor and worship their Gurus and Gods, and also to spiritually celebrate the remembrance of their ancestors. So, as puja acts as a very essential and pious occasion for Hindus, it becomes imperative that they do so with utmost purity and cleanliness. Cleanliness is not just limited to physique and the psyche but also extends to the Puja samagris or Puja items that aid in the ritual.
The pujas can be performed at oneâ€™s home or in a temple; it can be performed by a priest or by oneself along with family members, no matter how it is performed, the necessary puja items should be present in its pure or clean form.
Different Types of Hindu Puja Items are Listed Below:
1. Puja Thalis which can be copper, silver or gold plated and is used for aartis. Different designs of thalis are available for different occasions
2. Navgraha Shanti packs including Ketu Shanti pack, Rahu Shanti pack, Shani Shanti pack etc. consists of different small items that are necessary to carry out certain puja.
3. Holy water is an essential for types of pujas as they are used to cleanse the deity, and for offering Abhishek. Different types of holy water are Rudraksha Water, Gulabjal, Kewra, Gangajal, Gomutra etc. and these are used in different ceremonies.
4. Sindoors and tilaks are used by both men and women after puja as it is a symbol of invoking the divine. The variants available are the sandalwood powder, red sandal powder, Haldi-Kumkum, Kesari gandh, Kamakhya Sindoor etc.
5. Mehendis are usually used in marriage ceremonies.
6. Storages boxes or pouches also known as potlis are a must-have Indian puja item as it comes in handy to small items such as cotton wicks, charcoal, Shvetark thread, bhasma, holy/sacred threads, etc.
7. Incense sticks of various fragrances and elegant incense stick holders can be seen in almost every Indian ceremony.
8. Decorative and auspicious Jhulas or swings for home temples.
These are just a few of the Hindu puja items that are used in traditional rituals, the other items being potteries, lotas, chowkis, chopdas, diyas, Rudraksha malas, flowers and grains etc.
Pujas and puja accessories (much like Yantras) help the devotee to concentrate on spirituality and connect with the divine force. Choosing the correct puja items and maintaining its purity thus becomes a path to liberation for the devotee.