Chakra Vastu is the science of harmonizing and reaping maximum benefits from the dwelling by managing energies and influences of the Pancha Tatva, Planets, Chakras and Geometry in the space enclosed by the dwelling. In this Science, the chakras of Vastu Purush which lies with its head towards the North East and feet towards South West are balanced.
The entire universe is made up of Panchbhuta or the five elements –Sky (Akash), Air (Vayu), Fire (Agni), Water (Jal) and Earth (Prithvi). These elements and their energies reside both inside and outside of human beings and human dwellings too.
The ancient science of Vastu Shastra, which is derived from Vedas, states the presence of the Vastu Purush, the God of structures and construction in every human dwelling. The Vastu Purush lies with his head towards the Northeast and his feet towards the Southwest with various Deities mounted on Him, becoming the presiding Deities of respective directions. Different energies corresponding to different elements and Tatvas of the Vastu Purush reside in different directions and thus at various locations in a human dwelling.
Energies of various Tatvas, Planets, Geometries, and Chakras influence the different directions in a dwelling. Muladhara Chakra influences the South and South West corners of stability which are ruled by Earth element, Swathisthana Chakra influences the West Corner which is ruled by Lord Varuna, the God of Ocean, Manipura Chakra influences the South East corner which is also home to the Fire element, Hrit Padma Chakra is in East Corner whose God is Indra and home to the Fire element, Anahata Chakra is in the North West corner which is home to the air element, Vishudha Chakra influences the North corner which is home to the Ether element and Sahasrara and Ajna Chakra are located in the North East corner which is also called Ishaan or place of dwelling of pure consciousness. To gain maximum benefits and get optimal results from these energies, each corner and area is advised to be used for a particular activity. For instance, the Sahasrara Chakra of the Vastu Purush is in Northeast direction and it is the most suitable direction for mediation purposes and to build a Puja room. Similarly, it's best to have a kitchen in the direction where the fire element or Manipura Chakra is located in the dwelling.
If your home or office isn't designed accordingly then to make your dwelling Chakra Vastu complaint and to reap maximum benefits from universal energies, use energy products like yantras, gemstones, rudraksha, shaligram, shells, metals, auspicious symbols and sacred geometry to absorb the negative energy and generate positive energies.
Everything is this universe is made up of the Panchabhuta or the five elements. The five elements exist both as themselves and as all other objects. The five elements namely Sky (Akash), Air (Vayu), Fire (Agni), Water (Jal), and Earth (Prithvi) are the basis of all creations. They are the building blocks of nature and all matter. These five elements have varied characteristics and knowledge, balance and harmony of these elements are what lead to health and happiness.
It is the balance or imbalance among these Panchtatva that makes one's Space harmonious for the indwellers or creates problematic life situations for them. An underground water tank in the South Zone will cause anxiety, instability, and lack of orders. Similarly, the fire placed in North Zone (Ether) will block new opportunities and will cause impatience and disturbed sleep, as they are attributes of this Zone.
Space represents expansion, enhancement, extension, spread, communication and even thought process (Mental Space). It dominates the North and North East direction.
In this state, Space gives you the charge of your destiny. It gives you a sense of direction and the ability to get organized, ensuring that you excel in all that you do. It gives you the knowledge and awareness to understand new, creative and beneficial ideas.
Air represents growth in your life. It is also associated with movement, especially rotational movement, so it brings refreshment, fun, joy, and happiness in life. This element dominates the North West.
Air gives you the courage to try new things, take risks for your growth and to explore your inner-self. You get to meet people who pave the way for your growth and you perform impressively.
Mother Earth gives stability. Balance, infinite patience and maturity in character are imbued by this element. Earth dominates the South and South West in every built-up Space.
When balanced, this element induces stability in your life - be it your career, behavior, relationships, or results of your efforts. It encourages towards a feeling of peace and harmony with the entire world.
Fire is the driving force behind all life processes and thus is equated with money in the modern era. It can transform your life with confidence and enthusiasm. South East is the direction of Fire which is ruled by Lord Agni.
In its balanced state, Fire brings you fame and recognition among the masses. It gives you zeal, power, strength, confidence, and money, which become the driving force behind life and its processes.
It is associated with the conception of new ideas, clarity of thoughts, and creation of new vision, flowing of new opportunities in your life, harmonious relationships, healing energy, immunity and restoration of health. Water dominates the West direction, ruled by Lord Varuna in your dwelling.
When Water is in a balanced state in a dwelling, the people in such buildings are able to see the larger picture of life. They are creative, joyous and harmonious within themselves and with others.
SIGNIFICANCE OF DIRECTIONS
Vastu works on the principle of maximizing various energies and designing your home or workplace in accordance with these energies. Let's take a look at the different directions in Vastu
and their significance
Northeast side is ruled by the presence of God consciousness. Therefore, this is one of the most important directions in Vastu and should be kept open and clean. This area may be utilized for meditation purposes, Puja room or entrance or even living room. The Element present here is Spirit. In the Northeast direction, place Puja altar or Divine symbols. Keep this place open and spacious so that the rest of the dwelling is energized by the divine energies emanating from this area. To energize this element you may keep Parad items, quartz crystals, and idols of Gods and Goddesses.
The Eastside is known as the fulfiller of prayers and desires. It is from this side that manifestation is going to happen in your dwelling. Also, the East is where the sun rises, indicating life and health. This area may be utilized for the living room, study room, meditation purposes, Puja room and entrance. The element present here is Fire that can be enhanced by installing Yantras, Chowkis, Cowries, Rose Quartz gemstone and Goddess Laxmi items.
The Southeast direction is ruled by fire; hence, it has an abundance of energy in it. This is the area from where Prana (energy) is distributed to the rest of the dwelling. Ideally, it may be utilized for the kitchen, boardroom, sales and marketing department and conference room. Southeast direction is ruled by the Fire element and should be balanced by lighting oil lamp, keeping pyramids, yellow gemstones, aura lamps and using sufficient lighting. A balance of the fire element will improve the health of all the dwellers.
The South is the area that provides energy and stability to the dwelling. It is ideally utilized for the bedroom, director's cabin and storeroom. The element present here is Earth. To enhance the power of the Earth element, one can place Indoor plants, Red gemstones, and Copper items in this area.
The Southwest direction is the area that provides energy, career success, wealth and stability to the dwelling. It is ideally utilized for the bedroom and the director's cabin. The element present here is Earth. In the Southwest direction, balance the Earth element by placing plants. Plants have the capability to absorb all kinds of negative elements and thus help in cleaning the environment. Also, Horse Shoe, brown and black gemstones, Iron items and indoor plants are ideal items to use for energizing the Southwest corner.
The God of Oceans, Lord Varuna, rules the West direction according to Vastu. This direction is best for creative pursuits. Children's study room and designing rooms are best placed here. The element present here is Water. To balance the Water element in the West, keep fountains or flowers floating in water containers in this area or Kurma idol. Rock salt lamps would be an ideal energizer in this area. Spray this area with bright orange color or use Orange gemstones and allow creativity to bloom here.
The Northwest direction is for air/wind. This is the most central to all elements and connects one to the energy of all rooms. This is the area of maximum movements also. Here desires are fulfilled and it is best to have a sales and marketing department, meeting room, living room and dining room. To balance the Air element in the Northwest side, simply open windows for some time in the morning. Let there be the circulation or ventilation of fresh air. You will find relationships improving when the air element is balanced. This is the direction of air, wind or aroma. The energizers ideal for this element are Shells, Gomati chakras, Shaligram and aromatic diffusers. Use an abundance of green color or green gemstones to charge this area.
The element present in the Northside is Ether/Sky. This is the area for expression, creativity, and communication. It is best to have a study room, living room, boardroom and staff cabins here. This is the area of sound and color is blue. Use chimes and bells here and blue gemstones to energize this corner.
Scientific Background of Chakra Vastu
The Sun is the most vital source of energy and light. It is difficult to imagine life on earth without it. The Sun’s rays can be split into seven plus two colors. Beginning from the very beneficial ultra-violet rays in its eastern side corresponding to north-east and infra-red in the opposite south-west side, the sun’s rays split into violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange and red (VIBGYOR). The 24 hours of 1 solar day are divided into eight parts, which are associated with the eight cardinal directions. In each of these eight periods, the Sun is positioned in one of the cardinal directions. Therefore, the room which is most likely to be used during that period is located in this direction.
This is explained here
‘Pooja’ Room or meditation room in the North-East
The period between 3 am and 6 am, just before sunrise, is called ‘Brahma Muhurta’. At this time, the Sun is in the North-Eastern part of the house. These hours are ideal for Yoga, meditation, or study as it is very quiet and peaceful. Therefore, the North-East corner is the best position for the ‘Pooja’ room or prayer/ meditation room.
Bathroom, doors/windows in the East
From 6 am to 7.30 am, the Sun is in the eastern part of the house. This is the time for bathing and preparing for the day, so East is a good location for a bathroom used for bathing purposes only. In addition, there should be many openings and no obstructions in the East so that the beneficial rays of the morning Sun will engulf the house.
Kitchen in the South-East
The time between 7.30am to 9 am, when the Sun is in the South-East part of the house, is the best time for preparing food to be eaten later in the day. The Sun emits more ultra-violet rays in the morning hours than any other time of the day, which have a good effect on the human body and the environment surrounding him. These rays have a tendency to kill bacteria.
Room, Office, Storeroom in the South
The period between 9:00 am and noon is the time for work. The Sun is now in the South, and hence this is the best position for an office and a room. By noon, the intensity of the heat is high and so the South is ideal for store rooms which need to be moisture proof.
Children’s bedroom, study room, toilets in the West
The period between 3 pm and 6 pm is the time for children to study. The Sun is in the West and this is the best location for a children’s bedroom or your study room
Guest bedroom, living room, dining room in the North-West
Generally, the time between 6 pm and 9 pm, when the Sun is in the North-West part of the house, is the time for recreation. So rooms, where maximum movement is required, are placed here
Money safe, Children room in the North
The time between midnight and 3 am, when the Sun is in the Northern section, is the time of darkness and secrecy. The North is, therefore, the best place to hide valuables and to keep them protected. It is also a good room for children to sleep
Master bedroom in the South-West
After lunch, it is time to rest, so the time between noon and 3 pm is called Vishranti, the resting period. The Sun is now in the South-West section of the house and so it is the ideal location for a Master bedroom
- If your house is built facing north or east; the living room should be in a northeast direction.
- If your house is built facing west; the living room should in a northwest direction.
- If your house faces south direction; the living room should be in south-east direction.
- Ensure that the door of the living room faces East or North as the door placed in this direction invites positive energies bringing in wealth, bliss and profess at all personal and professional level.
- Furniture sets should be placed facing West or South.
- Fish tanks should be placed facing northeast direction.
- The main entrance to the house should be visible to the people or guests sitting in the living room.
- The guest should be seated such that they face South, West or South West. This will enable us to establish our authority in discussions or disputes.
- There should not be any mirror facing your bed.
- The master bedroom should be facing southwest direction.
- The shape of your bed should be square or rectangular.
- The doors of your bedroom may be eastward, westward or northward, but must not be in the southwest direction.
- Sleeping direction: Head should be in south and east, giving you sound sleep and ensuring proper repair of brains cells, respectively.
- Keep an image or a portrait of nature, river or an island on the wall facing the door. It means the moment you enter, your eyes should fall upon it first. Such pictures are soothing and relaxing.
- Air Conditioner, TV, coolers and other electrical gadgets should be placed in the South East of the room
- Your kitchen should face a southeast direction which is under the reign of Lord Agni.
- The stove should be setup facing southeast direction.
- The sink should be facing the northeast direction opposite the stove as fire and water do not blend in.
- The place for storing food grains, utensils etc. should always be in the south and on the wall in West.
- The water filter or pot may be kept in a northeast direction.
- Keep in mind that meals should be taken facing east. This will better the taste and help you digest the food.
- Your temple must be constructed facing east direction with the entry door in the same direction. The sun rises from the east giving a profuse amount of light, energy, and blessings.
- You must have the temple placed at a higher level; the Lord’s feet come to the level of worshippers’ chest.
- Make sure that the temple room isn’t installed in the bedroom or basement.
- Never place any pictures of departed ancestors in the temple room.
- Make sure that the idols should not have their backs coming in contact with the wall behind. Never keep idols in the wall by cutting it as well.
- Better if a ghee lamp is lit and kept it alight 24X7 it welcomes divine and positive energy into your home.
- Store Room can be placed between S and W, increasing weight in SW brings stability
- Unwanted items like belongings of a departed soul should be immediately disposed off.
- The floor of this room must be a little higher than the main building.
- Articles not in regular use can be stored in the room and can be kept locked.
- Geyser, boilers, switchboard and similar equipment should be in SE
- Water tap, shower in E or N so that a person faces E while taking a bath
- Soap, shampoo, detergents, broom, brush etc. should be in NW corner
- The bathroom must have a window anywhere except W or SW.
- The floor of the toilet should be a little lower than the floor of the house
- The slope in the toilet should be towards E or North
- The tap should be towards E or N
- Window or ventilator in W or SW
- Toilet cleaning items should be placed in NW
- The staircase should ascend from E to W or from N to S
- Even the number of steps should be preferred e.g. 2, 4, 6, 8, 12 and so on…and should never end with zero (10, 20...)
- No toilet, bathroom, temple or safe should be there below the stairs
CENTER OF HOUSE
- It is imperative to preserve the central area devoid of any heavy concrete structures. This area is ruled by Lord Brahma making it Brahmasthan. You may install Vastu Yantras that nullify the malefic defects of Vastu in the dwelling.