Skanda Sashti 2018: Dates, Vrata and Puja
Skandaa Sashti also known as Kanda Shashti is celebrated to worship Lord Skanda, who is an avatar of Lord Kartikeya, son of Lord Shiva and Parvati. During this Sashi, devotees keep vratam, observe fast, sing Skanda Sashti Kavacham and perform Sabramanya Shasti Pooja. It is one of the major southern festivals that glorifies Lord Skanda or Sabramanya. In the Skanda Purana, it is mentioned the demons under the commands of Tarakasura along with Simhamukha and Surapadma created havoc in the heavenly abodes of different gods and goddesses. It was Lord Skanda who defeated all these demons and freed the gods.
Generally people are aware of Ganesha Chaturthi that happens in Bhadrapada (Aug-Sept). But Sankashti Chaturthi and Vinayaka Chaturthi are also significant as both are related to Lord Ganesha.
So far Skanda Sashti Vratam is concerned; the auspicious tithi is when Sashti Tithi happens with Panchami Tithi. Skanda Sashti Vratam may be observed on Panchami Tithi.
|Month (2018) ||Date ||Day ||Tithi || |
|January ||22 ||Mon ||Skanda |
|Feb ||21 ||Wed ||Skanda |
|March ||22 ||Thurs ||Skanda |
|April ||21 ||Sat ||Skanda |
|May ||20 ||Sun ||Skanda |
|June ||18 ||Mon ||Skanda |
|July ||17 ||Tues ||Skanda |
|August ||16 ||Thurs ||Skanda |
|September ||14 ||Fri ||Skanda |
|October ||14 ||Sun ||Skanda |
|November ||13 ||Tues || Soora Samharam |
|December ||13 ||Thurs ||Subrahmanya Sashti |
Skanda Sashti Viratham 2018: How to Celebrate Skanda Sashti:
Skanda Sashti is dedicated to Lord Skanda or Sabramanya, one observes fast on this day to please the Lord who is also known as Lord Murugan.
|Month (2018) ||Date ||Day ||Tithi ||Sunrise (AM) ||Sunset (PM) |
|May ||20 ||Sun ||Skanda ||6:06 ||7:04 |
|June ||18 ||Mon ||Skanda ||6:05 ||7:14 |
|July ||17 ||Tues ||Skanda ||6:13 ||7:15 |
|August ||16 ||Thurs ||Skanda ||6:23 ||7:01 |
|September ||14 ||Fri ||Skanda ||6:29 ||6:38 |
|October ||14 ||Sun ||Skanda ||6:35 ||6:12 |
|November ||13 ||Tues || Soora Samharam ||6:48 ||5:56 |
|December ||13 ||Thurs ||Subrahmanya Sashti ||7:06 ||5:58 |
- You can observe fast from sunrise to sunset following the time given.
- You can eat nothing or just consume satvik food such as fruits and milk.
- You can chant Skanda Sashti Kavacham, a devotional prayer for protection and blessings from Lord Murugan.
- Chant ‘Om Sharavana Bhava’ mantra 108 times on a bead mala (Rudraksha) to please the Almighty.
- You can wear Mars Power Mala having Six Mukhi Rudraksha bead ruled by the planet Mars which is under the control of Lord Kartikeya.
- You can wear a Six Mukhi Rudraksha bead as a bracelet, locket or pendant. A Six Mukhi Rudraksha is ruled by the War god, Lord Kartikeya and pacifies planet Mars. Best for willpower, courage, perfection in one’s profession, grounding and focus .
- If you are suffering from delays or disharmony in marriages, accidents, high temper, debts, difficulties through children and losses in business, you must use Shree Mangal yantra in your pocket, wallet or cash box. Keeping this in the South corner of home or on one's person pleases Mars and brings happiness and auspiciousness in home and prosperity in business. Click here to know more about it.
- Best of all, one must peform Kartikeya Puja on Skanda Sashti. Those who are suffering with Rahu, Ketu, Kala Sarpa Dosha (In the Vedic chart, people whose planets sit between Rahu and Ketu) and those having sarpa shraap (curse of the snake) should worship Karthikeya. Visit here to know more about Kartikeya Puja.
It is said that one must recite or at least read Skanda Sashti Kavacham or Kanda Sashti Kavasam on this day. It is a devotional song glorifying the Lord Muruga. It was composed in Tamil by a student of Meenakshi Sundaram Pillai in the 16th century. The student was Bala Devaraya Swamigal. Beginning with the first four lines called as kaappu, it has two hundred and thirty eight verses that are known as kavacham. By chanting it regularly, one establishes themselves in the pure devotional mood. During the Skanda Vrat it should be chanted, recited or read thirty six times a day.