Bhai Dooj 2018: Date, Tilak Ceremony Timing and Special Gifts
Bhai Dooj (9th November, 2018 Friday) marks the end of the five-day long Diwali celebrations. Bhai Dooj date usually falls on the second day after the new moon or Amavasya and celebrates the brother-sister bond. On this day, sisters apply a vermillion/kumkum tilak on their brothers’ forehead and pray for their well-being. This is followed by exchange of gifts and blessings.
Bhai Dooj is celebrated all over India and is known by different names in different cultures. In West Bengal it is called ‘Bhai Phota’ and the tilak is a mixture of sandalwood (chandan), ghee, and kohl (kajal). People eat traditional sweets like kheer and coconut laddus on this day. In Gujarat, the day is known as Bhai Beej, when the sister perform aarti and applies a tilak on her brother’s forehead and prays for his good fortune. In Maharashtra and Goa, this day is called Bhau Beej and people make basundi puri or shrikhand puri to celebrate this auspicious day.
Scroll Down to read more
Bhai Dooj Tika Muhurat (Auspicious Timing) for the Ceremony:
|Particular ||Date & Day ||Time starts ||Time ends |
|Bhai Dooj Dwitiya Tithi ||8th Nov Thurs ||9:07 PM || |
|Tika Ceremony (Muhurtat) ||9th Nov, Fri ||1:29 PM ||3:43 PM |
|Bhai Dooj Dwitiya Tithi ||9th Nov, Fri || ||9:20 PM |
Shop Now for Energized Products
What to do on Bhai Dooj Festival
The hallmark of Bhai Dooj is the ceremonial tilak and aarti that the sister does for her brother.
- In the morning after having a bath and dressing up in her festive finery, the sister prepares the puja thali with a diya, roli, chandan and sweets.
- Then she has her brother seated for the tilak ceremony.
- She then applies the tilak on his forehead as a mark of protection and hands him a coconut. She then performs the aarti and for him and chants the mantras his long life and well-being.
- She now offers him a sweet. In case the brother is married, the sister can also apply tilak on her sister-in-law’s forehead.
- In case the brother has children, sisters can include their nieces and nephews in the ceremony.
- She can also prepare a meal for your brother and his family and eat together to celebrate her love.
NOTE: If a woman does not have a brother, she worships and offers prayers to Chandra, the Moon god. If your brother stays far away making it impossible for you to visit him, you can still pray to the Moon god for his long life.
When you are looking for Bhai Dooj gifts, try to find something your sister will need and will appreciate. It could be spiritual items that attract love, harmony and good luck in the house and energize her surroundings. The spirit of Bhai Dooj is all about strengthening family ties and relationships in a modern fast-paced life. So enjoy this day with your loved ones and let them know that you care for them.