Radhashtami 2019: How to Celebrate, Radha Ashtami Puja Tithi, History, Significance, Radha Krishna On Swings
Of all the festivals dedicated to Lord Vishnu or any of His avatars, the festival of Radhashtami is supremely significant. Radhashtami or Radha Ashtami (6th September, 2019 Friday) marks appearance day of Radha aka Radharani the Queen of Vrindavana (Brindavana). Born in Barasana (Uttar Pradesh, India), She is the divine consort, closest friend and the most beloved devotee surrendered unto the lotus feet of Hari.
The festival falls on Ashtami Tithi during the Shukla Paksha of Bhadrapada month (Sep-Oct). On this day, the devotees especially belonging to the Vaishnava sect observe fast and offer prayers to Her along with Lord Krishna. They also engage in a lot of spiritual activities such as reciting or discussing Krishna Katha specially the pastimes of Krishna and Gopikas. It is said in the scriptures like Bhagavad Purana (Srimad Bhagavatam) that hearing the pastimes of Srimati Radharani and Krishna on this day surpasses the results or fruits obtained by performing elaborate Vedic Yajnas and Fire sacrifices.
Scroll Down to read more
|Particular ||Date & Day 2019 ||Time starts ||Time ends |
|Ashtami tithi ||Sept. 5 (Thursday) ||8:49 PM || |
|Ashtami tithi ||Sept. 6 (Friday) || ||8:42 PM |
Shop Now for Energized Products
Radhashtami 2019: Significance, Origin and History, Birth of Radha
Meaning of ‘Radha’ in Sanskrit means ‘prosperity’. In the Puranas especially Shirmad Bhagavatam, it is mentioned that Radha is the primary, internal pleasure potency of the Lord known as Hladini. She is the fountainhead of divinity, auspiciousness, opulence and spirituality. Shiva Purana and Brahmavaivarta Purana mention Her inseparability from the Lord. She is known as the Jagat Janani, the Mother of all the universes.
She was born in Barasana, the region which was once ruled by King Vrishabhano (Vrishabhanu). About Five thousand years ago, when Lord Krishna appeared on this plant to perform His pastimes, Srimati Radharani also appeared.
How did She appear on the earth? Once King Vrishabhanu after arriving at River Janmuna to take bath found a lotus had a golden aura. Wondering at the glowing lotus, he went closer and saw a baby girl on the whorl. After bringing the baby girl home, the King and Queen Kirtida found that She was blind.
“On a half-moon night in the month of Bhadra, King Vrishabhanu came to the Jamuna to bathe and found himself engulfed in a golden aura, the golden aura of pure love. It was emanating from a lotus, which had a baby girl standing on its whorl. When the king returned to the palace with the baby, Queen Kirtida was delighted. She was also shocked that the girl was blind. On the other side, Yasoda, mother of Krishna, found that her best friend Kirtida had a bay. She quickly came to see the girl with the baby Krishna. When the baby Krishna crawled up to the cradle, pulled Himself up and looked at the baby girl, miraculously She opened Her eyes, to everyone’s delight.
The Krishna Katha (10th Canto or Skanda of Srimad Bhagavatam) mentions that Radha and Krishna are never separate in Vaikuntha, the residential abode of the Lord. When Brahma requested the Lord to descend and rid the earth of demonic kings and evil-minded races that tormented the saintly communities, the Lord agreed but Radha could not see Her beloved consort leave. So, She also wished to appear on the earth, blind until She sees the Lord first.
What to do on Radhashtami 2019:
1. Radha Ashtami Puja: Performing Radha Krishna Puja on this auspicious day is highly rewarding. Radha and Krishna are the eternally inseparable divine couples that represent spiritual energies of the universes. Lord Krishna is complete only when Radha performs Her pastimes to give Him divine pleasure. Krishna is regarded in the scriptures as poornam purushottam brahma (the better than the best and complete) and Radharani is the supreme para shakti, being the soul and life force of Krishna.
Benefits of performing Radha Krishna Puja on Radhashtami:
Book this special puja on this day.
- It invokes innumerable advantages for Love, Peace and Happiness.
- Helps in getting desired partner
- Promotes Eternal and Divine Love between couple
- Invokes Joy and happiness in Life
Wearing Rudraksha: On this day, if one wears a 10 Mukhi Rudraksha
(Ruling deity: Krishna), a 19 Mukhi Rudraksha
(Narayana) and a 20 Mukhi Rudraksha (Narayana)
, it is highly auspicious. It increases one’s devotional strength and causes them to detach from the unnecessary material objects.
3. Wearing auspicious lockets: You can wear silver lockets of Radha Krishna. These items worn on the body constantly remind you of Their divinity and divine protection. Also you can wear Radha Krishna pendants made of silver and gold.
4. Radha Krishna Idols: Installing Radha Krishna Idol at him for daily worship is the best spiritual practice. Offering prayers to the deity idols of this divine couple is as good as meditating on the Brahman.
5. Radha Krishna Photo Frames: Photo frames of Radhe Krishna on the wall at home or office are divine reminders of Their sacred presence in your surroundings. Check out the variety of photo frames.