Radhashtami 2023: How to Celebrate, Radha Ashtami Puja Tithi, History, Significance, Radha Krishna On Swings
Out of all the festivals dedicated to Lord Vishnu or any of His avatars, the festival of Radhashtami is supremely significant. Radhastami or Radha Ashtami (September 23, 2023, Saturday) marks appearance day of Radha aka Radharani, the Queen of Vrindavana (Brindavana). Born in Barasana (Uttar Pradesh, India), She is the divine consort, closest friend and the most beloved devotee surrendered unto the lotus feet of Hari. Scroll Down to read more
The festival falls on Ashtami Tithi during the Shukla Paksha of Bhadrapada month (Sep-Oct). On this day, the devotees especially belonging to the Vaishnava sect observe fast and offer prayers to Her along with Lord Krishna. They also engage in a lot of spiritual activities such as reciting or discussing Krishna Katha specially the pastimes of Krishna and Gopikas. It is said in the scriptures like Bhagavad Purana (Srimad Bhagavatam) that hearing the pastimes of Srimati Radharani and Krishna on this day surpasses the results or fruits obtained by performing elaborate Vedic Yajnas and Fire sacrifices.
Ashtami Tithi Begins - 01:35 PM on Sep 22, 2023
Ashtami Tithi Ends - 12:17 PM on Sep 23, 2023
Book Radha Krishna Puja
Shop Now for Energized Products
RADHASHTAMI 2023: SIGNIFICANCE, ORIGIN AND HISTORY, BIRTH OF RADHA
Meaning of ‘Radha’ in Sanskrit means ‘prosperity’. In the Puranas especially Shirmad Bhagavatam, it is mentioned that Radha is the primary, internal pleasure potency of the Lord known as Hladini. She is the fountainhead of divinity, auspiciousness, opulence, and spirituality. Shiva Purana and Brahmavaivarta Purana mention Her inseparability from the Lord. She is known as the Jagat Janani, the Mother of all the universes.
She was born in Barasana, the region which was once ruled by King Vrishabhano (Vrishabhanu). About Five thousand years ago, when Lord Krishna appeared on this planet to perform His pastimes, Srimati Radharani also appeared.
How did She appear on the earth?
On a half-moon night in the month of Bhadra, King Vrishabhanu came to the Jamuna to bathe and found himself engulfed in a golden aura, the golden aura of pure love. It was emanating from a lotus, which had a baby girl standing on its whorl. When the king returned to the palace with the baby, Queen Kirtida was delighted. She was also shocked that the girl was blind. On the other side, Yashoda, the mother of Krishna, found that her best friend Kirtida had a baby. She quickly came to see the girl with the baby Krishna. When the baby Krishna crawled up to the cradle, pulled Himself up, and looked at the baby girl, miraculously She opened Her eyes to everyone’s delight.
The Krishna Katha (10th Canto or Skanda of Srimad Bhagavatam) mentions that Radha and Krishna are never separate in Vaikuntha, the residential abode of the Lord. When Brahma requested the Lord to descend and rid the earth of demonic kings and evil-minded races that tormented the saintly communities, the Lord agreed but Radha could not see Her beloved consort leave. So, She also wished to appear on the earth, blind until She sees the Lord first.
What to do on Radhashtami 2023:
1. Radha Ashtami Puja Importance: Performing Radha Krishna Puja on this auspicious day is highly rewarding. Radha and Krishna are the eternally inseparable divine couples that represent the spiritual energies of the universes. Lord Krishna is complete only when Radha performs Her pastimes to give Him divine pleasure. Krishna is regarded in the scriptures as Poonam Purushottam Brahma (the better than the best and complete) and Radharani is the Supreme Para Shakti is the soul and life force of Krishna.
Benefits of performing Radha Krishna Puja on Radhashtami:
- It invokes innumerable advantages for Love, Peace, and Happiness
- Helps in getting desired partner
- Promotes Eternal and Divine Love between couple
- Invokes Joy and happiness in Life
2. Radhastami Fasting: Devotees observe fast till afternoon and various cultural programs are also arranged on this day. Later everyone enjoys a feast and celebrates the auspicious occasion.
3. Wearing Rudraksha: On this day, if one wears a 10 Mukhi Rudraksha (Ruling deity: Krishna), a 19 Mukhi Rudraksha (Narayana) and a 20 Mukhi Rudraksha (Narayana), it is highly auspicious. It increases one’s devotional strength and causes them to detach from the unnecessary material objects.
4.Wearing auspicious lockets: You can wear silver lockets of Radha Krishna. These items worn on the body constantly remind you of Their divinity and divine protection. Also, you can wear Radha Krishna pendants made of silver and gold.
5. Radha Krishna Idols: Installing Radha Krishna Idol at home for daily worship is the best spiritual practice. Offering prayers to the deity idols of this divine couple is as good as meditating on the Brahman.
6. Radha Krishna Photo Frames: Photo frames of Radhe Krishna on the wall at home or office are divine reminders of Their sacred presence in your surroundings. Check out the variety of photo frames.
RADHA ASHTAMI VRAT VIDHI/ PUJA VIDHI
- Start the day with a positive mind frame
- Purify yourself by taking a bath with water mixed with Gangajal
- Install Radharani idol in your puja altar and worship the idol at 12 in the noon
- Take Sankalpa and mention your wish for which you are observing the fast
- Recite the Radha Ashtami Vrat Katha followed by Radha Stuti and Radha Chalisa
- Invoke the deity by singing bhajan and light an oil lamp (Diya) in the evening
- Perform aarti and offer Bhog to the Goddess
- On the next day, feed Brahmins and married women (Suhagin). Later on, break the fast by having Prasad
HOW TO CELEBRATE RADHASTAMI?
On this special day dedicated to Radharani, Radha and Krishna idols are decorated beautifully with flowers. This is the only day when devotees can take darshan of Radha’s feet, as they are covered rest of the year. It is celebrated on a grand scale in Brij and a lot of devotees observe a full day fast or a Nirjala Vrat (fasting without water).
Some temples also perform Abhishek of Radharani and sing famous bhajans in praise of Radha. It is a festival that glorifies Radharani and rejoiced by many people across the country.
RADHASHTAMI SPECIAL PUJAS
Radha Krishna Puja
Invoke Love, Peace, Harmony and Happiness in your personal and professional life by performing Radha Krishna Puja on Shri Krishna Janmashtami. Lord Krishna represents Universal Love and Affection only when Radha, the Queen of Vrindavana, accompanies him. This puja is best for getting the desired partner and seeking harmony in relationships.
Book Radha Krishna Puja
Spiritual Items Associated With Srimati Radharani and Radhashtami
Radha Krishna Gemstone Idols
Rudra Centre offers a variety of deity idols of Radha and Krishna Install it at your home or office for blessings from the Divine Couple. BUY NOW
Radha Krishna Idol
A special Radhashtami idol featuring the Divine Couple. Stunningly cast in bonded marble, the idol features Lord Krishna seated beside a tree trunk playing flute while Radha is seated beneath listening to His music. BUY NOW
Radha Krishna on Swing
Get a finely and elegantly designed Brass idol of Radha Krishna Idol. The idol features the Divine Couple seated on the swing. It represents the natural state of us which is bliss, joy and devotional love to the Divine. BUY NOW
Narayan Krishna Bracelet
Ten Mukhi Rudraksha holds the divine energy of Lord Krishna and His internal Hladini Shakti (Radha) and brings joy, love and compassion in your life. BUY NOW
Radha Krishna Lockets And Pendants
We offer elegantly designed Radha Krishna lockets and pendants in gold and silver. BUY NOW
Krishna Ratna Shakti Yantra
Get the most powerful Krishna Ratna Shakti Yantra energized with the divine energies of Lord Krishna. Best placed in home/office/shop for blessings of bliss, harmony, optimism and success. BUY NOW
Radhashtami Special Pujas