Shani Jayanti (Amavasya) 2018: Date, Worshiping Shani Puja For Shani Dosh
Shani Jayanti (15th May 2018, Tuesday) marks the birth of Lord Shani who is the son of Surya, the Sun god. He is the ruling deity of Planet Saturn. Puja timings (given in the table) should be considered for worshipping the deity.
|Particular ||Date & Day ||Time starts ||Time ends |
|Shani Tithi ||May 14, Monday ||07:46 PM || |
|Shani Tithi ||May 15, Tuesday || ||05:17 PM |
According to Vedic astrology, if the Saturn pierces and passes through the constellation of Rohini then it is considered to be very inauspicious and causes troubles in one’s life. However, Shani is known as the lord of punishment and justice. On this day one should worship him for his blessings. It is celebrated on Amavasya during Jyeshtha month (June-July) according to North Indian calendar and during Vaishakha (May-June) month in South. Also it coincides with Vat Savitri Vrat followed by many during June-July in North Indian states.
About Lord Shani and why people generally fear him?
Those who believe in astrology have a general perception about Shani’s being aggressive and wrathful. It is true that he brings havoc in life but one must understand his position. The Vedas are of the opinion that no deity empowered to execute cosmic tasks can ever harm or annihilate the existence of living beings because they are divine by nature. It is true that Saturn’s (Shani) malefic position in horoscope of individual delays success, causes endless struggles and gives disappointments. People are afraid of Lord Shani, the ruler of Planet Saturn that takes about thirty years to orbit around Sun, indicating that Shani casting his eyes on you slows your progress of everything in your life. Then why is Shani so aggressive?
Being one of the nine planets, Saturn personifies Lord Shani that means Śanayē Kramati Saḥ; “the one who moves slowly”. As per Vedic scriptures, he is the elder son of Surya (Sun god) with Yama (the god of death) being the younger. Shani was born of Chhaya (Shadow) who was created by Sun’s first wife Saranyu upon being unable to bear her husband’s radiance.
Lord Shani is the god of punishment, deliverance of justice and hardships. He gives the results of your actions throughout your life whereas his younger brother Yama gives the results of your actions after death. Vedic scriptures call Shani as the greatest teacher, well-wisher and punishment giver. He teaches hard lessons by putting you in the loops of struggles, hardships and at times frustrations, just to keep you grounded so that you refrain from daydreaming, being overambitious and creating inner fantasies.
Once you learn these lessons, Shani rewards you to your heart’s content. With his blessings, the rich lose everything and the poor gain everything overnight.
Whenever you face struggles, constant disappointments, failures or unfulfilled wishes, know that these are all Shani’s blessings working in the background to mold you for better. Chant Hanuman Chalisa and offer oil to Lord Hanuman on Saturdays during your hardships. Also, you can chant the following Shani mantra after the sunset every day.
Nilanjana Sama Bhasam Raviputram Yama Grajam ||
Chhaaya Martanda Sambhootam Tam Namami Shanaishcharam ||
“I bow to Lord Shani, who is black in color and the divine son of Sun and born to Chaya and brother of Lord Yama, who moves very slowly.”
What to do on Shani Jayanti?
On this day thousands of devotees fast in order to please Lord Shani. A visit to Shani temples is the best way to contact an atmosphere that is energized by the constant chanting of Shani Mantras.
Scroll Down to read more
- Observe fast on this day from sunrise to sunset.
- Offer oil mixed with sesame to the lord. Black items such as black grams, sesame oil are dear to Shani.
- Take a single meal after pujas and prayers in the evening.
- Visit a Shani temple for prayers. It is best if the temple has Navagraha Shrine and a Pipal tree. Light up a diya (oil lamp) at Pipal tree in the evening and circumambulate around it for seven times. Once done, you may offer seven ladoos to a black dog.
- Recite Shani Chalisa in the evening.
- It is the most auspicious day for performing Shani Puja to appease Lord Shani. Shani Dosha Puja can be performed to minimize the effects of Shani.
Shop Now for Energized Products
Use energized items on this day:
Powerful Shani Yantra
Shani Yantra is used to propitiate an afflicted Shani and achieve material riches through the complete blessings of Lord Shani. When Saturn is malefic in a horoscope, in transit or causes Sadesati, use of Shani yantra is very beneficial. Shani yantra is useful, when one feels depressed. It indicates success in worldly affairs, success in business and the man touches the dizzy heights. Shani yantra is kept on rising moon Saturday during Venus or Saturn Hora.
Collector Seventeen Mukhi Rudraksha bead
A Seventeen Mukhi Rudraksha bead is ruled by Katyayani Devi, the sixth form of Durga whio rules Saturn. Person who worships this form of goddess attains all the four fruits, ‘Dharma’, ‘Artha’, ‘Kama’ and ‘Moksha’. Best for project leaders, businessmen and political leaders and people desiring growth in career. It offers powers of creation of wealth and divine magnetism. Gives fulfillment of all desires related to getting a life partner, progeny, good luck and prosperity.
Siddhi Shani Yantra Locket
This Yantra once when worn properly propitiates or pacifies Lord Shani. This locket protects you throughout the upheavals in your life. It is must for those who contantly struggle without getting the rewards. It is to be worn with a mantra one must chant every day.
Shani Sade Sati:
This is the most feared period in one’s life. When, Sani (Saturn) transits through the 12th, 1st, and 2nd house from the natal moon, this is termed Sade-satti. Saturn takes 2 ½ years to pass through each sign, its passing through 3 signs make it 7 ½ years. Sade means “half” in Hindi and Sati translates to “seven”.
Shani Sade Sati Influence:
- Saturn is a planet of empathy, democracy, human values, and dispassion. When one is ambitious, passionate and achievement oriented, one seldom transgresses the values Saturn upholds.
- Saturn, during its Sade Sati, makes one learn the values which it represents. Most often than not, to break egoistic tendencies, impulsive selfish actions, and other negativities, Saturn creates obstacles, doubts, and depression. It seeks to break the illusion of ego.
- Sade Sati cycle repeats about two or three times within one’s lifetime. It reappears after every 25 years from when it first finished. In rare cases, the Sade Sati may appear four times, in a lifetime. Each and everyone have to go through Sade Sati, unless there is an early death before the start of first Sade Sati.
Cycle of Sade Sati:
- The first cycle of Sade-sati generally affects close relatives more than the native.
- The second cycle influences the domestic front as well as the business front, and the
- Third cycle affects children, family, health, and physical suffering.
- Saturn does not distinguish between the rich and the poor. Anyone who is arrogant, egoistic, despotic, criminal minded, undemocratic, unsympathetic, passionate, and non-hard working and overly ambitious is targeted during the person’s Sade Sati.
- When Saturn passes through 4th house from the natal moon, it is called Ardha Kantaka Sani. This period is considered as bad as Ashtam Shani or the worst phase.
However, these results differ from chart to chart according the planets placed in the chart, main and sub periods (Dasa and Bhuktis) and transits of other planets. Nature of Sade Sati results are also dependent upon Saturn’s relationship with the Ascendant (lagna) and the Moon Sign (Rasi) and its very character known through the Nakshatra which it falls under.
NOTE: Never consider Shani is the cause of all the problems. Lord Shani does nothing but corrects our past mistakes during its Sade Sati and Kantaka Shani periods. There are always remedies for pleasing him. Remedies for Shani Sade Sati are here.
Nag Panchami on 15 th August, 2018 (Thursday) Naga Panchami is falling on Augu
Happy Mother's Day
When is Motherâ€™s Day in 2017? The second Sunday of May is celebrated as M
Saguna Mantra Mantras are Sanskrit-invocations of the Supreme Being. They are re
Sri Goraksa Rahasyam
Sri Goraksa Rahasyam Sati Parvatyuvaca - Bhagava! devadevesa, Rahasya goraksaya