Somvati Amavasya 2018: Date, What To Do, Importance
Amavasya is a New Moon day being one of the most significant days for performing various rituals. A New Moon day on Monday (Somavara) is called Somvati Amavasya. In 2018, it is falling on 16th April (Monday). This Amavasya happens once is a year therefore it offers a great opportunity for ritualistic ceremonies. Monday is dedicated to Lord Shiva
and Somvati Amavasya is an opportune day for married to wish for the longer life of their husbands. It is said that if a man is suffering from a prolonged disease, his wife can fast on this day and circumambulate a peepal tree as a ritual, praying for his recovery and prolonged life. Also, one can perform Shradha to please their ancestors for blessings.
Somvati Amavasya 2018: Why it is celebrated? Story and Significance:
It is mentioned in the Mahabharata and Bhagavad Purana (Srimad Bhagavatam) that Bhishma Pitamah explained to King Yudhishthira the significance of this Amavasya saying that one should take bath in a holy river to cleanse themselves of all the misgivings. Holy bath on this day keeps you pure, hygiene, healthy and prosperous and also offers peace to your ancestors.
Another popular story or folklore is that a poor Brahmin lived a unhappy life because his young, beautiful and well-cultured daughter was unable to find a man for marriage. He became extremely distressed when a sage, pleased with the service of his daughter, said the she does not have a marriage in her destiny. However the sage being compassionate upon the Brahmin asked his daughter to serve a washerwoman named Sona living in the nearby village. When Sona applies Sindoor on her head on the head of the Brahmin’s daughter, all the problems related to her marriage would come to an end.
The Brahmin’s daughter as instructed went to Sona’s home early in the morning when all were asleep, did the shores and returned home. Sona surprised at the chores being done early in the morning asked her daughter-in-law whether she did the chores. However, the daughter-in-law though it was Sona who did all the works.
Curious, Sona and her daughter-in-law found out the truth that it was the Brahmin’s daughter who was doing the chores. She told Sona and her daughter-in-law the reason behind this. Being pleased with her servile attitude, Sona applied her Sindoor on her head. As a result, Sona’s ailing husband died. This event occurred on Somvati Amavasya. She immediately went to a Peepal tree which she generally worshipped every day. Having nothing to offer, she picked some bricks and circumambulated around the tree 108 times praying for her husband’s life. By the blessing of the Supreme Will, her husband returned to his life.
Therefore, on Somvati Amavasya women fast and pray for the longer life of their husband.
What to do on this somvati Amavasya?
There are various rituals or spiritual activities that can be performed on this day by anyone regardless of their social background.
- Keeping a Maun (silence) in the morning and take bath in holy rivers such as Ganges (Ganga), Yamuna, Saraswati etc. is regarded highly auspicious and purifying. If you are unable to bathe in River Ganga, you can add some Ganga jal (holy waters of Ganga) to your bathing water in the morning. Chant the following mantra while bathing.
Ganga Cha Yamuna Chaiva Godavari Saraswati,
Narmada Sindhu Kaveri Jalesmin Sannidhim Kuru
- In this water, I invoke the presence of divine waters from the rivers Ganga, Yamuna, Godavari, Saraswati, Narmada, Sindhu and Kaveri. These rivers are considered as goddesses and I pray to them for considering me for their blessings.”
- Offer water to Surya (Sun) and Tulsi. While doing so, chant Gayatri Mantra and circumambulate Tulsi plant 108 times
- Offer some water to Shivling
- Feed a cow with curd and rice
- Worshiping a Peepal tree: Keep some Tulasi plant at the base of the tree. Onto it, pour some milk, curd, Chandan (Sandalwood), rice, flowers, Turmeric and black sesame. Offer water at the base. Move around (Parikrama) the trunk 108 times tying a cotton thread around it. If you have brought along certain items such as bindi, bangles, chocolates for donation to married women or unmarried girls, you can carry these items while doing Parikrama around the tree.
- It is highly auspicious to have Rudra Abhishek performed at home. Somvati Amavasya falling on Monday is associated with Lord Shiva.
- You can cook Puri, Kheer and potato sabzi and offering them to the crows. This ritual is performed to appease the ancestors. It eradicates Pitru Dosha from your Kundali. Or you can do Pitru Dosha Nivaran Puja on this day.
- Perform Kala Sarpa Dosha puja on this day for driving away all the malefic influences of planets in your horoscope.
- Offer food and clothes to the needy.
Scroll Down to read more
Shop Now for Energized Products
Article Written by Neeta Singhal
Parad Shivaling is the most unique and wonderful boon gifted to the humans by
Parad Shivaling Introduction Parad Shivaling represents the confluence of the di
Gayatri Mantra One of the oldest and the most powerful mantras- The Gayatri Mant
All Stories about Lord Shiva – God of Transformation
Lord Shiva - The God of Transformation Lord Shiva is a part of Trinity of Brahma