Lord Shiva is worshipped in the form of the Shivling (Shiva Lingam), which is found in temples and at home in puja altars. Revered by devotees all over the world, Lord Shiva has many names and Rudra is one of them. The Rudra manifestation of Lord Shiva is fierce and that of the destroyer. Worshipping Him is done by performing Abhishekham and is the way of worshipping which is the favourite of the Lord. Rudra Abhishek meaning is the holy bath of the Shivling which is done with offerings of a sacred mixture of liquids like Milk, Gangajal (water of River Ganga), Honey, Curd (Yogurt), Sugarcane juice, Sandalwood paste, Belpatra or Bilva Patra (Wood Apple tree leaves), Aromatic Oils, Flowers (Dhatura, Akand/Rui) etc. Chanting of Mantras and hymns is an integral part of performing the Shiv Rudrabhishek. Abishekam to Rudra is regarded as incredibly significant by Hindus. Positive energy permeates the vibrations produced during this puja.
Lord Shiva is extremely benevolent, even in His Rudra rupa. Following the ritualistic Rudrabhishek puja procedure as specified in the ancient Hindu texts and performing Rudra Abhishek with a pure heart and good intention brings blessings of Lord Shiva in all aspects of life including washing away of sins, liberation from past Karmas and spiritual growth. The Rudrabishek puja removes all negative energies from life.
The Vedic rituals of thispuja procedure given below is a step by step guide to help devotees to Rudra Abhishek at home. The Rudrabhishek Mantra needs to be chanted with care. Then the Rudra Abhishek procedure should be followed in detail to get the maximum Shiv Rudrabhishek benefits.
Place Lingam so that Yoni faces North and you face the West face of the Lingam and look towards East. You need to sit on an Asan of Wool/ Kusha.
● Smearing ash (Bhasma): The devotee worshipping Lord Shiva should smear holy ash on his forehead in three horizontal stripes - Tripundra. The stripes symbolize Absolute Knowledge, Purity and Penance (Yogasadhana).
● Wearing Rudraksha: The devotee should wear Rudraksha beads mala while worshipping Lord Shiva. So it aids to absorb the powerful vibrations, propelled by the frequencies of worship. This can transform our thought process, help to come into alignment with the Divine and help in attaining the intention of the worship. Rudraksha's high vibrations balance Chakras helping one elevate to higher consciousness
● Water should be sprinkled over all items of Puja chanting and over yourself: "Om Apavitrah Pavitro Va Sarva Vastan Gatopi Va Yah Smaret Pundari Kaksham Sa Bahya Bhyantarah Shuchi" Translation: May all things unholy become holy, may all lower tendencies depart, just as soon as we transcend may within and without be purified!
● Light Ghee Lamp Remember Guru, Ganesh, Deity and Parents: Om Gurubhyo Namaha; Om Ganeshaya Namaha; Om Kula Devatabhyo Namaha; Om Ishta Devatabhyo Namaha; Om Mata Pitribhyam Namaha"
Translation: I bow to guru, I bow to Ganesha, I bow to the family deity, I bow to my personal deity, I bow to my parents
● Achamani: Place water on right hand with spoon of Achamani and sip after each of these 3 mantras "Om Keshavaya Namaha Om Narayana Namaha Om Madhavaya Namaha"
Place water on right hand and pour on ground: "Om Govindaya Namaha"
Bath the lingam with water and then offer all Abhishekam liquids one by one. All this while chanting “Om Namah Shivaye”.
Water mixed with Gangajal and Gulab Jal (Rose water)
Sugarcane juice/ Fruit juices
Wipe the Shivling/Shiva Lingam with a clean cloth and place it on Pedestal. ● Now chant Sadyojaat mantra "Om Sadyojaatam Prapadyaami Sadyojataajava Namo Namaha Bhave Bhavenaati Bhave Bhavasvamaam Bhavodbhavay Namaha"
● Offer Sandal Paste making a Tripunda on His Western Face with Vamdev mantra "Om Vamdevaya Namah, Jyeshthaay Namah, Shreshthay Namah, Rudraay Namah, Kaalay Namah, Kala Vikarannaay Namah, Bal Vikaranaay Namah, Balaay Namah Bala Pramathanaay Namah, Sarva Bhoot Damanaay Namah, Manomanaay Namah."
Translation: White as camphor and kindness incarnate, the very form of Brahman consciousness, you Shiva ever dwell in my heart. I bow to you
● Chant Gayatri mantra 3 times "Om Bhur Bhuvah Swaha Om Tat Savitur Varenyum Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi Dhiyo Yonaha Prachodayat"
● Chant Surya mantra 3 times "Om Bhu Om Bhuvaha Om Swaha Om Maha Om Janaha Om Tapaha Om Satyam"
Repeat and touch each after each mantra, right eye, left eye, forehead
"Om Apo Jyothi Raso Amtritam Brahma Bhu Bhuvaha Swarom"
● Chant Mahamrityunjaya mantra 108 times with Rudraksha mala. "Om Haum Joom Sah ,Om Bhur Bhuvaha Swaha Om Triambakam Yajamahey,Sungandhim Pushti Vardanam Urvar Ukamiva Bandhanan, Mrityor Muksheeya Mamritat Om Swaha Bhuvaha Bhu Om Sah Joom Haum Om"
Bow or supplicate, then chant this last prayer : "Om Purnamada purnamidam purnath purnamudyachite Purnasya purnamadaya purna mevaya shishyate Om Shanti Shanti Shanti"
The Mantras chanted with each step of Rudra Abhishek puja procedure have significance and all Vedic Mantras when chanted with clear pronunciation have healing properties. The main Shiv Rudrabhishek Mantras are Shiv Mantras which can be chanted:
The auspicious days for Rudrabhishek puja are Mahashivratri, Mondays of Shravan Maas or all days of Shravan Maas or Sawan Maas, monthly Shivratri days, Pradosham days and Mondays all year long. Worshipping Lord Shiva by performing Rudrabhishek on Shivratri is said to please Lord Shiva immensely and it is also said that performing the Rudra Abhishek at Pradosh Kaal or Pradosham, which is said to be the favourite time of the day of Lord Shiva, is extra beneficial for devotees.
Types of Rudrabhishek Puja
There are 6 types of Rudrabhishek which can be done by devotees. Based on Vedic texts, each ingredient of Rudra Abhishek has its own symbolism and blessings which it brings, it holds importance in Rudra Abhishek meaning and the devotee can choose from the Rudrabhishek types or do all of them. The below list of Rudrabhishek types gives a clear indication of the benefits of each one.
1) Jal Abhishek - Performing Rudrabhishek with Water (jal), especially with the holy water of River Ganges i.e. Gangajal blesses with the fulfilment of desires.
2) Dudh Abhishek - Performing Rudrabhishek with Milk (Dudh), ideally fresh Cow's Milk, which has not been boiled or heated is for blessings of the longevity of devotee.
3) Shahad Abhishek- Performing Rudra Abhishek with Honey or Shahad rewards by freeing from misfortunes, life becomes trouble-free and happy.
4) Panchamrit Abhishek - Panchamrit is the mixture of 5 things, unboiled Cow's Milk, Curd (Yoghurt), Honey (Shahad), Sugar and Ghee (clarified butter). Performing Rudrabhishek with Panchamrit blesses the devotee with prosperity, wealth and abundance.
5) Ghee Abhishek - Ghee is clarified butter and preferably Ghee made from Cow's milk is used in Vedic puja vidhis. Rudra Abhishek, when performed by pouring Ghee on Shivling, protects the devotee from diseases and ill-health.
6) Dahi Abhishek - Dahi is Curd or Yogurt. Performing Rudrabhishek with Dahi or Curd helps couples who are facing difficulty in conceiving with a beneficial outcome.
WHY SHOULD THE RUDRABHISHEK BE PERFORMED?
Lord Shiva/Rudra is the Supreme Divine who rules over creation and He is a "giver" who is easy to please. Devotees perform Rudra Abhishek pooja to impress and please Lord Shiva and He showers many blessings abundantly which are the Rudrabhishek benefits.
Rudra Abhishek benefits by protecting from all dangers and harm.
Rudrabhishek puja benefits with good health, cure/healing from physical illness and diseases.
Rudra Abhishek pooja benefits by ushering in blessings of prosperity, wealth and good fortune.
A devotee is relieved from malefic effects of planets, including that of Shani (Saturn) and Rahu as a part of Rudra Abhishek pooja benefits.
Rudrabhishek puja benefits devotee with spiritual growth.
Rudra Abhishek pooja benefits fulfilment and desires of the devotee, if it is for the highest good of the individual.
Rudra Abhishek benefits the life of devotee by filling with peace and it calms down the mind.
Relationship harmony between spouses and among family members are gifts of Rudrabhishek benefits.
This puja benefits couples who are finding it difficult to conceive.
It benefits by bringing good opportunities especially in career/job.
Performing Rudrabhishek at home automatically cleanses the negative energies from the space and fills the atmosphere with positivity.
How to Perform Maha Rudrabhishek?
To perform the Maha Rudrabhishek the devotee should fast for two days prior to the day of Maha Rudrabhishek, eating solid food or grain. The day before the Maha Rudrabhishek one should try to drink lesser quantity of water. Some people keep dry fast also.
It is performed on the auspicious Mahashivratri or in the holy Shravan Maas. The Maha Rudrabhishek is performed with the help of a suitable, qualified Pandit.
1) Asanas for Gods, Goddesses and the Navagrahas are prepared 2) A Ghee lamp is lit after invoking the blessings for the devotee by the Pandit 3) Shanti path and recitation of the devotee's Sankalpa. 4) The Lords of the 10 different directions or Dikpalas are worshipped along with Mother Earth, Lord Ganesh, Lord Agni and also the Navagraha. 5) Lord Agni is invoked by offering pieces of holy wood and paste of mustard seeds, Sesame seeds, Ghee etc. 6) Each planet of the Navagraha is worshipped separately. 7) Shiv Rajopachar Puja is done followed by Sri Rudra Chamakam recitation. 8) Abhishekham is performed of Lord Shiva with chanting of Mantras. 9) Homam with ingredients like Ghee, Til, Jau (Oats), Sandalwood and other special ingredients is performed. 10) Arti is performed and Prasad to Brahmans is distributed.
Where to Perform Maha Rudrabhishek?
Trimbakeshwar Temple in Nasik, Mahakaleshwar temple in Ujjain, Omkareshwar temple in Indore, Somnath temple in Gujarat, Kashi Vishwanath temple, Baidyanath temple in Deoghar and Nageshwar temple in Gujarat are the temples where Maha Rudrabhishek can be performed. Mahakaleshwar Rudrabhishek is very famous.
The Mahakaleshwar temple at Ujjain is a famous Lord Shiva temple which is one of the Jyotirlingas of the Lord. The Mahakaleshwar Rudrabhishek has an elaborate procedure, which is a desired experience of all Lord Shiva devotees.
What is the Cost of Performing Maha Rudrabhishek?
The cost of performing Maha Rudrabhishek changes depending on factors such as the number of Pandits or priests involved, the duration of the ceremony, etc.
I have been wearing Indra Mala for a year now, I would like to share the following: Indra mala should be bought from very reliable source who knows everything about effects of rudraksha (so they dont cheat customers by selling fake beads). You should do your mantra daily,(as suggested by your guru). I have been doing certain kind of meditation the results have been wonderful and fast after wearing Indramala. Though I had Indra mala for spritual purpose, My career and family life has been perfect and very fulfilling as well. Last but not least I suggest that Indra mala should be taken only afte
Dear Neetaji, Things have changed miraculously in my life. I have secured a wonderful job and my wife as well. Rudraksha sure does have the power to change one\'s destiny. I am indebted to the entire rudra center team. Would recommend to everybody. Namaste Jaykumar Iyer
Dear Neeta I received the products today by blue dart. Thank you so much for sending it so promptly. The bracelet/armlet looks beautiful. My son is very happy to see the rudraksh and is eagerly waiting to wear it. Thanks Rudra centre team. You guys are fantastic !! Veena
Namaste Tushar ji, Thank you very much for sending Rudraksha combination for my daughter. I really appreciate Neetaji personally looking into this matter for my daughters benefit. Thank you very much Neetaji. Me and my wife are already seeing many spiritual and material benefits by wearing the Rudrakshas which were strung appropriately by your humble self. Great service again! Kind Regards, Subash
Thanks for courtesy & valuable inputs, during my visit to your new office. The new office is indeed amazing, everything is thoughtfully done, architecture, interior, walls, murals, paintings, glass decoration with fractal geometric patterns. Pleasing & soothing fragrance from dry flowers in office creates natural ambiance. Dedication & team work of staff is exceptional. Technology & process are easily embraced by all....... I have slowly build my rudraksha collection/combinations, gemstones & yantras over a period of 4 years, wearing them have helped me become stronger from
Neeta, It is my pleasure to write a testimonial here. I am a Tibetan Buddhism follower in Hong Kong. I first came to know about Rudraksha when I saw many other people using 108 Rudraksha mala in Buddhist countries. I have been always advised by masters to use Rudraksha for chanting. I have heard the myth of Rudraksha, and have always been keen to get one. However, I don�t have confidence to purchase one as there are so many fakes on the market. It was until I came across the website of Rudra Centre that I start knowing more about Rudraksha, its properties and benefits. After discussion my si
Thanks a million for inviting me for the Rudra Abhishekam on Mahashivarathri.. It was a divine experience and was transported to divinity every khan and felt tremendous joy, peace and completeness. I would have stayed all night, however as I had to relieve the person who was taking care of my mother, I had to leave. Thanks again for the brilliant divine experience. You good vibrant energy could be felt there and I thank the universe to have brought you in my life. My student, friend Ameya asked me to convey his special thanks for being able to be a part of this divine celebration with so much
Jai Gurudev and a Happy Monday, Rudra Puja, or Rudrabhisheka, which is one of the most ancient and profound rituals in the Indian subcontinent was performed yesterday at Rudracentre Mumbai by Neetaji. It was a puja, a worship, of the benevolent aspect of the consciousness called Shiva, or Rudra. For me, this first Puja which I witnessed by staying awake full night on Mahashivaratri was a spontaneous happening which was born out of the fullness and contentment of myself. It was an innocent playful process reciprocating the supreme love of nature. The state of mind with which the puja was perfor
Respected and Beloved Neetaji, Thank you for your kind invitation which I attended from 8.40 to 11.30 pm yesterday. It was pleasant to watch you doing Rudra Abhishekam with all the devotion and with all the ingridients like Milk, Honey, water, Prasadam etc. You are so thoughtful to engage the services of about a dozen Pundits who were chanting hyms, Panchatchara Mantra besides Rudram/Chamakam. The whole atmosphere was reverberated with spirital fervour. I think all the devotees who attended the function enjoyed it. To cap it all, you have also made every one to participate by doing Abhishekam