Yamuna Chhath 2019: Date, Puja Timin and Significance
Yamuna Chhath (April 11, 2019 Thursday) also known as Yamuna Jayanti is celebrated to glorify the Yamuna River who descended on this earth on this day. Yamuna is the daughter of Lord Surya and sister of the death god Yama, Vaivasvata Manu and the twin Ashvins. Yamuna is also known as Yamunaji, Yami and as Surya’s daughter, Suryatanaya, Suryaja and Ravinandini.
Celebrated in Chaitra month (March-April), it receives millions of visits from her devotees every year. On this day one can fast and purify all their misgivings, sins or guilt.
|Particular ||Date & Day ||Time starts ||Time ends |
|Chhath Tithi ||April 10, Wed ||3:35 PM || |
|Chhath Tithi ||April 11, Thurs || ||2: 41 PM |
Significance of Putrada Ekadashi: Why a male child not Female?
On this day, people observe strict fast and end (Parana) it at sunrise on the day of Chhath (March 23). Yamuna River is deeply connected with the divine Lord Krishna who spent His childhood pastimes on its bank along with His friends. In the Puranas and the Mahabharata, she has been described as the most sacred river that sanctifies even the most sinned.
In the Vamana Purana, it is mentioned that when Sati kills Herself, Her husband Shiva madly traveled thought the world and higher planets, ended up being calm and detached from the worldly or domestic affairs. Lord Kamadeva shot an arrow of love at Shiva who was overcome by a love desire. He plunged into Yamuna River to subdue His sexual urge. As a result the waters became black. Later the dark River became home to Kaliya, a giant demonic serpent who was killed by Lord Krishna. After Kaliya’s death, the River with the touch of Lord Krishna’s lotus feet regained Her beauty.
How to Celebrate Yamuna Chhath Puja: What to do?
On the auspicious day one should get up before sunrise and bathe in the Yamuna River. If it is not possible, one can add little Yamuna Jal (water) to the bath water and take bath. Chant the following mantra while bathing.
"Ganga Cha Yamuna Chaiva Godavari Saraswati, Narmada Sindhu Kaveri Jalesmin Sannidhim Kuru"
"In this water, I invoke the presence of divine waters from the rivers Ganga, Yamuna, Godavari, Saraswati, Narmada, Sindhu and Kaveri.”
- Yamuna is closely related to Lord Krishna. One can offer prayers to Lord Krishna. Chant this mantra: ‘Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya’. This powerful mantra was given by Sage Narada to Dhruva Maharaja as described in the Bhagavat Purana (4.8.54).
- You can chant Hare Krishna mantra on the Tulasi bead.
- If possible chant thousand names of Vishnu or Vishnu Strotram. It has a purifying effect on the mind and the body. You can also play it in the morning while you engage in daily works. More details here.
- You can perform a Krishna Puja on this day. The Puja includes Sthapana (Ganesh, Devi, Navgraha, Kalash, Brahma), Navagraha Mantra Japa (1 mala of each planet), Krishna Puja, Rudra Kalash Pujan, Shodus Kalash Pujan, Sarvato Bhadra Pujan, Chetrapal Mandal Pujan, Chatukasti Yogini Pujan, Invocation of all Gods and Goddesses, Japa of Krishna Gayatri Mantra, Japa of Krishna Sahasranaam, Shrimad Bhagwad Gita Paath, Krishna Aarti and Homa.
- You can wear a Ten Mukhi, or a Nineteen Mukhi Rudrasksha beads for they are ruled by Lord Krishna and Narayana, respectively. Wearing these Rudraksha beads on this day purifies your inner self and strengthens your will power.